Here at Hollywell Housing Trust the safety of our tenants is a prime concern – our tenants are vulnerable, many have never lived alone or held their own tenancy before and we want to ensure that they are equipped with the skills and knowledge they need to keep themselves safe in their home. With this in mind, Hollywell has teamed up with the Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service to provide all our tenants with the advice and guidance they need to live safely. We will be organising a visit from the fire service to each of our tenants within the first 3 months of their tenancy to advise them on areas such as safe cooking, escape routes in the event of a fire, ensuring that any of our tenants who smoke do so safely at all times, as well as providing specialist equipment when necessary such as smoke alarms for those who are deaf or hard of hearing and fire safe furnishings where appropriate.
Katie Sherjan, Hollywell’s CEO, says:
“We are very pleased to be working in conjunction with the Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service to enable us to keep our tenants as safe as possible and empower them to manage their own home and look after themselves whilst they are living independently. Many of our tenants do not always know that some of their behaviours may put them at risk and this partnership will help to ensure that they are equipped with the information they need to reduce the risk of damage or injury caused by fire and keep themselves safe.”
Crew Manager Keith Denning is also the Partnership Manager for the collaboration and shares Hollywell’s committment to ensuring that our vulnerable tenants stay safe:
“Devon Fire Prevention Service welcome the opportunity in working as partners with Hollywell Housing Trust. Together we will work to provide information to keep the most vulnerable in society safe within our communities.”
This partnership is part of the Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service “Home Fire Safety” initiative to support people to stay safe in their home and understand what they can do to minimise the risk of house fires.